The City of Fairfax School Board holds Regular School Board meetings on the first Monday of the month at City Hall, 10455 Armstrong Street. The meetings begin at 7:30 and are televised on local channel 12. To see a schedule, agendas and minutes, please go to our meetings page. In addition, the School Board holds monthly work sessions on the third Monday, usually at Fairfax High School.
Board Briefs is designed to highlight important aspects to our school board meetings and connect the School Board work with their annual goals and strategic plan. The objective is listed in parenthesis after the item.
To see a video of our Regular School Board meetings, please go to the City of Fairfax website.
To see a presentation listed below, please go to the City of Fairfax website, click on the meeting date and agenda. Presentations will be embedded in the agendas.
2021-2022 Board Briefs
Monday, December 6, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting
1. FCPS Legislative Update - Fairfax County Public Schools Director of the Office of Government Relations Mike Malloy presented a preview of the FCPS Legislative Update.
2. Superintendent Proposed FY 23 Budget - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent of the City of Fairfax Schools, presented the school board with the fiscal year 2023 budget. To see the budget presentation, please see here. To see Dr. Pajardo's presentation, please go to the City's meetings website and click on the December 6, 2021 meeting.
Monday, November 15, 2021 Work Session
1. Membership Update - Michelle Van Dyke and Stephanie Hanos from the FCPS Information Technology department presented an updated membership report to the City School Board. The report outlined the number of city students, city transfers and mobility rates of the four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
2. School Capacities Update - Jeff Platenberg and Brian Schoester from the FCPS Office of Facilities Planning Services department presented their annual school capacity and utilization presentation to discuss the current capsacity levels at our four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
3. Legislative Report - City School Board Member Bob Reinsel presented the 2022 State and Federal Legislatice Program. (Objective 7, School Board Organization).
Monday, November 1, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting and Work Session
1. Superintendent Advisory Team Update - Student representative on the Superintendent Advisory Team Darwin Otchere provided the Board with an update from the most recent team meeting. Mr. Otchere discussed the discussion of the Capital Improvement Plan.
2. Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Returning Strong Update: Ms. Rebecca Baenig and Ms. Terry Edmunds-Heard from FCPS Region 5 provided an update to the Board on the return to school. They discussed information such as staffing, bussing, the FHS principal update and vaccines for elementary students, staff and student athletes.
3. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent provided the board with the updated FY 23-27 CIP. The school board voted unianimously to approve the CIP.
4. Action Items: The City of Fairfax School Board approved the CIP and updates to the School Board Policy Manual.
Work Session: The City of Fairfax School Board went into work session to discuss two subjects:
a. School Board Orienation document: School Board Member Toby Sorensen created a school board orientation document for incoming school board members.
b. Discussion of Possible Strategic Plan Topic: College and Career Plans: Dr. Mitch Sutterfield led the school board in a discussion for a possible strategic plan topic about college and career plans for students after graduation.
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - Fall Retreat
1. Board Annual Self Evaluation - Led by Chairman Carolyn Pitches, the School Board discussed the recent School Board self evaluation results.
2. Facilites - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the future of the City of Fairfax School facilities and renovations FY25-FY35.
3. Pre-Kindergarten - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the possibilities of a pre-kindergarten program in the City of Fairfax.
4. Equity Discussion - Led by School Board Member Bob Reinsel, the Board discussed adding a new initative plan to develop a policy regarding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the City of Fairfax Schools.
Monday, October 18, 2021 - Work Session
1. AVID Update - FCPS AVID Coordinators, teachers, students provided a comprehenisive explanation of the AVID program at KJMS and FHS. Objective 4., Instruction.
2. Transporation Update- City of Fairfax Transportation Director Wendy Sanford provided an update on the Old Lee Highway project in Fairfax City, which will impact Daniels Run ES and Fairfax HS.
3. Board Retreat Agenda- The City of Fairfax School Board approved the final draft of the agenda for their upcoming retreat on Saturday, October 23. (Objective 7, Board Organization)
Monday, October 4, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting
1. Academy Update - Administrator Andrea Cook updated the school board on the Fairfax Academy. American Sign Language teacher Cassie Nesbitt joined. (Objective 4., Instruction)
2. Capital Improvement Plan - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the five year FY 2023 - 2027 CIP. (Objective 3., Facilities)
Monday, September 20, 2021 - Work Session
1. FCPS Return to School Update: Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 leadership Rebecca Baenig, Eric McCann and Terri Edmunds-Heard presented to the school board updates for the first month of school. Topics included enrollment, staffing, facilities and ESSER funds spending for the four schools. (Objective 1, 2, 3, - SSA, Budget, Facilities).
2. Communications Update: City of Fairfax communications manager Carrie Dorsey presented the 2021-2022 SY communications plan. (Objective 6., Communications)
3. Capital Improvement Plan: Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo and Assistant to the Superintendent Diego Wilson presented the inital draft of the FY 2023-2027 Capital Improvement Plan. (Objective 3, Facilities)
4. Meeting Agendas: Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the school board with topics for the fall retreat on October 23 and agenda items for the year's regular school board and work session meetings.
Monday, September 13, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting - Please note, this meeting was not televised.
1. FCPS Tuition and ESSER Funding Update - Fairfax County Public Schools presented to the school board an update for the upcoming tutition payment and plans for the ESSER funding. (Objective 1., SSA)
2. Facilities Update - Diego Wilson, Assistant to the Superintendent answered questions from the board about facility upgrades and projects. (Objective 3., Facilities)
3. Return to School Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo presented an update to the board about the first few weeks of school. (Objective 4., Instruction)
4. Capital and Administrative Report - Dr. Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo answered questions about the Capital and Administrative Accounts.
Thursday, July 8, 2021 - Special School Board Meeting
1. The City of Fairfax School Board held its annual organizational meeting. (Objective 7, School Board Organizational)
The Board established the following assignments:
– Annual School Board Organization
- Elect Carolyn Pitches Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Elect Dr. Mitch Sutterfield Vice Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Establish Meeting Dates
- Set the Salary of School Board Members
- Appoint Susan Wiczalkowski, Clerk of the School Board
- Retain John Cafferky, to provide general legal services
- Establish Rotation for Fairfax County School Board Meetings
- Appoint Jon Buttram and Alternate, Carolyn Pitches, School Board Members to PRAB
- Appoint Delegate, Mitch Sutterfield and Alternate, Toby Sorensen to VSBA Convention
- Appoint Bob Reinsel and Toby Sorensen as Legislative Liaisons
- Appoint Carolyn Pitches and Toby Sorensen, Representatives to the Washington Area Boards of Education
- Appoint Brenda Silvia Torma as City of Fairfax Schools Health Advisory Committee Member
- Appoint Kate Hermann as City of Fairfax Schools FPAC member
- Appoint Darcy Acquavella as City of Fairfax Schools ACSD member
- Appoint Amy Chase as City of Fairfax Schools AAPAC member
- Appoint Mitch Sutterfield, as representative to the Environmental Sustainability Committee
- Authorize Chairman & Clerk to sign legal documents
- Authorize Superintendent to sign and execute official documents