The City of Fairfax School Board holds Regular School Board meetings on the first Monday of the month at City Hall, 10455 Armstrong Street. The meetings begin at 7:30 and are televised on local channel 12. To see a schedule, agendas and minutes, please go to our meetings page. In addition, the School Board holds monthly work sessions on the third Monday, usually at Fairfax High School.
Board Briefs is designed to highlight important aspects to our school board meetings and connect the School Board work with their annual goals and strategic plan. The objective is listed in parenthesis after the item.
To see a video of our Regular School Board meetings, please go to the City of Fairfax website
Monday, October 19, 2020 Work Session
1. Update from Ms. Gisele Gray, Community Use Specialist at Fairfax High School - Ms. Gray provided updates to the Board about community use at FHS, selected students returning to school and the possibilities of opening the school to groups in the future. (Objective 3, Facilities).
2. Update from Mr. Jeff Platenberg, FCPS Assistant Superintendent for Facilities and Transportation - Mr. Platenberg provided the Board with updates on students returning to school, cleaning protocols, ventilation systems and other facility related issues. In addition, the Board spoke with Mr. Platenberg about the capacity issues at Providence ES and the possibilities of a new elementary school being built in the Fairfax/Oakton area. (Objective 3, Facilities, Objective 1, School Services Agreement).
3. Capital Improvement Plan FY 22-26 Update - Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented an updated FY 22-26 and the Board discussed various items to prepare for the Board vote on November 2, 2020. (Objective 3, Facilities).
4. Superintendent Goals - Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented two of her Superintendent goals for the upcoming year. (Objective 7, School Board Organization)
Monday, October 5, 2020
1. Student Representative Project - Student Representative Aashray Manchanda presented his student representative project. Mr. Manchanda would like to create an innovation lab at Fairfax High School. He presented ideas for the lab, why it would benefit all students at FHS and discussed challenges facing starting a lab.
2. Capital Improvement Plan - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the 2022 - 2026 Capital Improvement Plan to the School Board. The Board will vote on November 2, 2020 on the plan. Objective 3, Facilities.
3. Update on Lanier MS Naming Process - Dr. Pajardo updated the Board on the LMS. The Board will vote on a new name November 2, 2020. Objective 3, Facilities.
Monday, September 21, 2020
1. The School Board heard a presentation from staff for the 2020-2021 communications plan. (Objective 6, Communications).
2. The School Board heard a presentation from staff for the 2020-2025 Capital Improvement Plan. (Objective 3, Facilities).
3. The School Board reviewed the 2020-2021 School Board Meeting calendar and approved the fall 2020 retreat agenda. (Objective 7, School Board Organization)
Monday, September 14, 2020
1. The Board received an update from Fairfax County Public Schools in regards to the upcoming tuition bill and FCPS budget priorities. (Objective 1, SSA)
2. Superintendent Pajardo presented the Board with a School Opening Report. (Objective 2, Instruction)
3. Assistant Superintendent Diego Wilson presented the Board with a Facilities Update. (Objective 3, Facilities)
4. Dr. Pajardo updated the board on administrative accounts.
5. Dr. Pajardo presented the board on the data collection of public engagement on Lanier Middle School. (Objective 3, Facilities)
6. The Board voted 4-1 to change the name of Lanier Middle School. (Objective 3, Facilities)
Public Hearing, September 3, 2020
1. The School Board heard from the community in regards to the name of Lanier Middle School.
Public Hearing, August 3, 2020
1. The School Board heard from the community in regards to the name of Lanier Middle School.
Regular School Board Meeting, Monday, July 6, 2020
1. School Board named Carolyn Pitches as Chair and Dr. Mitch Sutterfield as Vice Chair. Other board members were named to committees and liaisons. (Objective 7, School Board Organizaiton)
2. Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent, presented a plan for public engagement on the name of Lanier Middle School. The Board voted 5-0 to approve the plan.
Special Meeting June 18, 2020
1. School Board members voted 5-0 to change the name from Rebel Run to Lion Run. (Objective 3, Facilities)
2. School Board asked Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo to present a public engagement plan for the name of Lanier Middle School. (Objective 3, Facilities)
Work Session, Monday, May 18, 2020
1. FCPS Update - Ms. Rebecca Baenig, Region 5 Assistant Superintendent for Fairfax County Public Schools updated the board on distance learning challenges and current situations in our schools. (Objective 1: Management of SSA)
2. CIP Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the board with the results from board input questions on needed cuts to the Capital Improvement Plan based on the new budget cuts from City Council. The board will vote on the new CIP budget in July. (Objective 3: Facilities)
Regular School Board Meeting, Monday, March 2, 2020
1. State of the Schools Report - Principals Dr. Tammy Hanna (Lanier MS) and Dr. Erin Lenart (FHS) presented the secondary state of the schools report. The report highlighted school wide initiatives such as environmental education, student wellness and implementing the FCPSOn 1:1 laptop program.
Work Session, Monday, February 26, 2020
1. Superintendent Evaluation Form - Chairman Carolyn Pitches provided the board with the Superintendent Evaluation Form for board review. (Objective 7, School Board Organization)
2. City Budget presentation - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent for the City of Fairfax Schools, presented the board with a preview of her presentation she will make to the City of Fairfax City Council in March regarding the FY2021 Board-approved budget. (Objective 2, Budget)
3. School Board Evaluation Form - Chairman Pitches provided the school board with a first draft of a school board self evaluation form. (Objective 7, School Board Organization)
Regular School Board Meeting, Monday, February 3, 2020
1. State of the Schools Presentation, Elementary Schools - Principals Chris Smith (DRES) and Dan Phillips (PES) presented the City School Board with their annual State of the Schools presentation. The principals discussed programs such as literacy, environmental education and the Positivity Project. (Objective 2, Budget, Objective 4, Instruction, Student Achievement).
2. The School Board voted unanimously to rename the baseball field behind Providence Elementary School to the Scott Pierce Field after Scott Pierce, a longtime volunteer for Fairfax Little League. (Objective 3, Facilities).
Presentation to the Board – FCPS Equity and Family Engagement presented to the school board regarding Daniels Run ES Title 1 eligibility.
Presentation to the Board – Lanier MS – Dr. Tammy Hanna presented to the school board a plan to update the LMS library with new furniture to accommodate student needs.
Presentation to the Board – FCPS Region 5 and the four city principals presented to the school board the Region student achievement report.(Objective 4, Instruction, Student Achievement)
Regular School Board Meeting, Monday, January 6, 2020
Spotlight On Learning – Lanier Middle School’s School Based Technology Specialist Kelsea Owens presented about LMS Learning Seminars. The seminars are four times a week for forty minutes with a rotating list of course offerings. Some students use the time for remediation support in core classes. (Objective 4 Student Achievement)
Presentation to the Board- Cathy Salgado, Parks and Recreation director presented to the school board asking for consideration to name a baseball field at Providence Elementary School after Fairfax Little League president, Scott Pierce.
Mid-Year Facilities Update – Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented her mid-year facilities update to the School Board. Highlights include the completion of the gym floor at Fairfax High School, HVAC installation and repair at Daniels Run ES and carpet to tile projects at all four schools. In addition, Dr. Pajardo previewed a study for the Fairfax High School auditorium. (Objective 3, Facilities).
Monday, December 2, 2019 – Regular School Board Meeting
- Student Recognition: The City of Fairfax School Board recognized over 100 students and staff from Daniels Run Elementary School, Providence Elementary School, Lanier Middle School, Fairfax Academy for Communications and the Arts and Fairfax High School. (Objective 4 Student Achievement)
- Student Report – Student representative Kylie Horn gave her student update for Fairfax High School. (Objective 4 Student Achievement)
- Legislative Review – Mike Malloy, Legislative liaison for Fairfax County Public Schools gave the City of Fairfax School Board an update for the 2020 Legislative Agenda. (Objective 4 Student Achievement, Objective 1 School Services Agreement)
- FY 2020 -2021 Budget Preview – Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent of the City of Fairfax Schools presented the School Board with her 2021 Budget. (Objective 2, Budget)
Work Session, Monday, November 18, 2019
- Fairfax County Public Schools representatives presented their Membership Summary to the City school board. The membership report is important number because it is one of the foundations of our budget and tuition agreement with FCPS. (Objective 1 – School Services Agreement)
- Superintendent, Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the City school board with a preview of her FY 2021 budget. (Objective 2 Budget) The budget will be formally presented to the School Board at the December meeting.
- School Board Members Bob Reinsel and Dr. Mitch Sutterfield presented the City school board with the Legislative Agenda Update. (Objective 2, Budget; Objective 4 Instruction, Student Achievement)
Monday, November 1, 2019 – Regular Board Meeting
- Spotlight on Learning – Daniels Run ES teachers Jillian Bell (2nd grade) and Grace Yi (3rd grade) spoke to the school board about Literacy at DRES. (Objective 4 Instruction)
- Student Representative Kylie Horn updated the school board about recent news at Fairfax High School and her student project about 1:1 learning.
- Communications Update – Communications specialist Carrie Dorsey updated the school board about the 2019-2020 communications plan (Objective 6, Communications)
- Capital Improvement Plan – Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the updated Five Year Capital Improvement Plan. The school board voted 5-0 to pass the CIP with two amendments. (Objective 3, Facilities)
Monday, October 21, 2019 – Regular Work Session
- Communications Audit Survey Results – Barbara Hunter, president of Hunter Communications, gave her report on her communications audit. (Objective 6, Communications)
- Student Representative Proposed Project – Kylie Horn, student representative discussed her proposed project with the School Board. Kylie will look at the impact of 1:1 (one laptop per child) at the four schools. (Objective 5, Technology)
- Review Fall Retreat – City of Fairfax Schools Superintendent, Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented a draft of a potential agenda for the November 9, 2019 retreat. (Objective 7, School Board)
- Superintendent Proposed Goals – Dr. Pajardo presented her proposed goals for the 2019-2020 school year. (Objective 3, 6 Facilities and Communications)
Regular School Board Meeting Monday, October 7, 2019.
- Spotlight on Learning – Fairfax Academy administrator Andrea Cook presented her update about the Academy. Included in her presentation were updates on enrollment, course expansions, future plans and community connections. (Objective 4, Instruction)
- Citizen Participation – Fairfax High School student Jordyn S. voiced her support of gender neutral bathrooms at FHS. (Objective 6, Communications)
- Student Representative Report – Kylie Horn gave her student report and updated the Board about National Merit Semifinalists, Homecoming, Mental Health conference, gym floor and student successes.
- Five Year Capital Improvement Program – Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented her CIP proposal. The board discussed various aspects of our four school buildings. Dr. Pajardo highlighted recent updates including the new gym floor, carpet to tile projects at our four schools and HVAC replacements. (Objective 3 Facilities, Objective 2 Budget)
September 16, 2019 – School Board Work Session
- Community Usage at Fairfax High School – Gisele Grey, Community Activities Director. Ms. Grey presented the School Board with numbers regarding usage of the high school facilities. Ms. Grey just finished her first year in this position, which is unique to Fairfax High School. In other schools, community usage liaison responsibilities is distributed between administrators. (Objective 3 – Facilities)
- Community Engagement Survey Results – Carrie Dorsey, Communications Specialist discussed lessons learned from two separate surveys including the FCPS Family Engagement Survey and the City of Fairfax Communications Outreach. (Objective 6 – Communications)
- Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent of the City of Fairfax Schools reviewed a draft of the FY2021-2025 Capital Improvement Program and the 2019-2020 Work Session and Regular School Board Meeting calendar. (Objectives 2 and 7, Budget and School Board)
September 9, 2019 – Regular School Board Meeting
- Spotlight on Learning – Gisele Grey, Community Liaison from Fairfax High School talked to the School Board about using Fairfax High School as a community center. She explained the ease to reserve space and discussed how her office is dedicated to supporting those interested in using our facilities. To contact Ms. Grey about using FHS facilities, please call 703-219-2203. (Objective 3 – Facilities)
- Student Representative Kylie Horn discussed school opening, highlighted FHS activities and reminded the Board and public about FHS Homecoming on Friday, September 27.
- Tuition Bill and FCPS Fiscal Forecast – our partners at Fairfax County Public Schools came to talk to the school board about our annual tuition bill from FCPS through the School Services Agreement. (Objective 1 – School Services Agreement)
- Summer School Report – Assistant Superintendent Diego Wilson updated the board about summer programs in the four City schools. (Objective 4, Student Achievement)
- Facilities Update – Assistant Superintendent Diego Wilson updated the board about major facility work this summer including the FHS gym floor slated to open in late-September, new HVAC systems (Objective 3 – Facilities)
- School Opening – Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo updated the board on the opening numbers of our four schools, introduced new administrators at FHS and talked about her visits to all four schools throughout the first two weeks.
- Update on Administrative and Capital Accounts – Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo updated the Board on the end of the fiscal year balance to the Capital Improvement Plan and contract services budgets. The Board approved the FY2019 Carry Forward funds. (Objective 2, Budget)