The City of Fairfax School Board holds Regular School Board meetings on the first Monday of the month at City Hall, 10455 Armstrong Street. The meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. and are televised on local channel 12. To see a schedule, agendas and minutes, please go to our meetings page. In addition, the School Board holds monthly work sessions on the third Monday, usually at Fairfax High School. The work sessions are not televised but are recorded.
Board Briefs is designed to highlight important aspects to our school board meetings and connect the School Board work with their annual goals and strategic plan.
To see a video of our Regular School Board meetings or listen to a recording of a work session, please go to the City of Fairfax website.
To see a presentation listed below, please go to the City of Fairfax website, click on the meeting date and agenda. Presentations will be embedded in the agendas.
Monday, October 2, 2023
1. Resolution honoring City of Fairfax Councilmember Jeff Greenfield and the Annual Labor Day Car Show for their ongoing support for the City of Fairfax Schools.
2. Student Representative Project - Kathleen Murray, student representative for the City of Fairfax School Board, presented the board her proposal for her year-long project. The project will focus on community service and connecting feeder schools to the high school.
3. Administrative and Capital Funds Update - Assistant to the Superintendent Dan Phillips presented an administrative and capital funds update to the board. The update contained information about the carry forward funds (funds that were budgeted, but not used this past year). The board voted to approve the funds be carried into this year.
4. Capital Improvement Plan proposal - Assistant to the Superintendent Dan Phillips presented the proposed draft of the FY 2025-2029 CIP. To see the presentation, please see our CIP page here
. The board will vote to approve the CIP on Monday, November 6, 2023.
Monday, September 18, 2023
1. Update of World Languages Camp - Nathalie Coyle and Kate Tiffany. Ms. Coyle and Ms. Tiffany provided an update of the summer world languages camp at Fairfax HS. The camp welcomed almost 80 elementary and middle school students to introduce them to foreign languages at Fairfax High School.
2. Presentation draft of the FY2024-2029 Capital Improvement Plan - Jeff Platenberg, superintendent, presented the school board with the draft of the FY2024-2029 Capital Improvement Plan. The plan is the outlook for major facilities improvements for our schools.
Monday, September 11, 2023
1. Moment of silence for the remembrance of September 11.
2. Resolution honoring the 75th Anniversary of Fairfax HS Band.
3. FCPS Tuition Update - Leigh Burden, CFO of Fairfax County Public Schools, and Alice Wigington, Executive Director of Fairfax County Public Schools Budget Office, came to present an update on the tuition payment.
4. Summer in the City - Dan Phillips, Assistant to the Superintendent. Mr. Phillips presented the school board with a summary of the summer programs in the City schools.
5. School Opening Report - Jeff Platenberg, Superintendent. Mr. Platenberg provided the school board with a summary of the student population numbers, an update on staffing, and a preview of the school year.
6. Facilities Conditions Assessment - Mr. Bill Brown of Moseley Architects provided the school board with a summary of their report regarding the facilities assessment of the four school buildings and the Green Acres site, which the school board owns.