The City of Fairfax School Board holds Regular School Board meetings on the first Monday of the month at City Hall, 10455 Armstrong Street. The meetings begin at 7:30 and are televised on local channel 12. To see a schedule, agendas and minutes, please go to our meetings page. In addition, the School Board holds monthly work sessions on the third Monday, usually at Fairfax High School.
Board Briefs is designed to highlight important aspects to our school board meetings and connect the School Board work with their annual goals and strategic plan. .
To see a video of our Regular School Board meetings, please go to the City of Fairfax website.
To see a presentation listed below, please go to the City of Fairfax website, click on the meeting date and agenda. Presentations will be embedded in the agendas.
2021-2022 Board Briefs
Monday, May 16, Special Meeting
1. Approval of Employment Contract for Superintendent - The City of Fairfax School Board voted unanimously to approve the contract for supertinendent to Jeff Platenberg. Click to see the superintendent timeline.
Monday, May 16, Work Session
1. FCPS Committee Presentations - City of Fairfax FCPS committee liaisons presented their end of the year report to the school board. Click here to see more about the FCPS committees with City of Fairfax representatives.
2. Future Development Data Update - Eric Forman, Community Development and Planning for the City of Fairfax. Mr. Forman provided the school board with an update on housing developments throughout the City and County with impacts on school population.
3. Summer Retreat - The City of Fairfax School Board discussed agenda items for the July 9, 2022 retreat.
Monday, May 2, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Student Recognition - The City of Fairfax School Board recognized Fairfax High School students for regional, state and national accomplishments. To see the recognition, please go to the City of Fairfax meetings website and click on the May 2, 2022 meeting.
Monday, April 18, Work Session
1. Annual Student Panel - Students and administrators from Katherine Johnson Middle School and Fairfax High School joined the school board for a panel discussion about life as a student in city schools.
2. FCPS Instructional Update - Noel Klimenko, FCPS Instructional Services presented an update on K-12 Mathematics. Click here to see the presentation.
Monday, April 11, Regular School Board
1. Donation to All Night Grad Night - The City of Fairfax School Board donated $2000 to the Fairfax HS All Night Grad Night committee.
2. Superintendent Advisory Team Update - Student representative Darwin Otchere gave the board an update on the Superintendent Advisory Team meeting in March.
3. Superintendent Search Update - Ann Monday, consultant, provided the School Board with an update on the superintendent search. Please click here for link to presentation.
4. Strategic Plan Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, superintendent, provided the School Board with an update on the strategic plan. Please click here for link to presentation.
Monday, March 21, Work Session
1. Student Panel Preview - Student representative Akanksha Padheriya and SAT representative Darwin Otchere presented the board with a preview of April's student panel. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
2. Elementary Technology Preview - Ms. Tracey Jewel, Director, IT Support Services, Fairfax County Public Schools. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
Monday, March 7, Regular School Board Meeting
1. Student Representative Report - Akanksha Padheryia gave the student report.
2. Katherine Johnson MS and Fairfax HS state of the schools report - Interim FHS principal Maureen Keck and Director of Student Services Kathryn Teague presented the annual state of the schools report. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
Monday, February 28, Work Session
1. School Safety and Security Update: Captain Shawn Bennett, Fairfax City Police Department, Mr. Tom Vaccarello, Director, Fairfax County Public Schools Safety and Security. Captain Bennett and Mr. Vaccarello discussed the memo of understanding for school resource officers in Fairfax High School and Katherine Johnson Middle School. To see the presentation, please go to the agenda.
2. Katherine Johnson MS Field Project: Ms. Cathy Salgado, Director, Parks and Recreation. Ms. Salgado updated the school board on the KJMS turf field project. To see the presentation, please go to the agenda.
4. School Board Strategic Planning Process: Carolyn Pitches, Chair. Ms. Pitches led the school board on a discussion about school board priorities and strategic planning.
Monday, February 7, 2022
State of the Schools Report - Providence ES and Daniels Run ES principals presented their annual State of the Schools Report. Updates were provided on ESSER spending, additional support measures to help with student learning and wellness programs.
Monday, January 24, 2022 Work Session
Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 Update - FCPS Region 5 Assistant Superintendent Rebecca Baenig, Executive Principal Terri Edmunds-Heard and Executive Principal Eric McCann presented an update to the City of Fairfax School board that included updated COVID numbers and protocols, subsitution shortages and a timeline for the new principal announcement.
Monday, January 3, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
Facilities Update - Assistant Superintendent Diego Wilson provided the board with an update to City school facility projects.
Monday, December 6, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting
1. FCPS Legislative Update - Fairfax County Public Schools Director of the Office of Government Relations Mike Malloy presented a preview of the FCPS Legislative Update.
2. Superintendent Proposed FY 23 Budget - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent of the City of Fairfax Schools, presented the school board with the fiscal year 2023 budget. To see the budget presentation, please see here. To see Dr. Pajardo's presentation, please go to the City's meetings website and click on the December 6, 2021 meeting.
Monday, November 15, 2021 Work Session
1. Membership Update - Michelle Van Dyke and Stephanie Hanos from the FCPS Information Technology department presented an updated membership report to the City School Board. The report outlined the number of city students, city transfers and mobility rates of the four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
2. School Capacities Update - Jeff Platenberg and Brian Schoester from the FCPS Office of Facilities Planning Services department presented their annual school capacity and utilization presentation to discuss the current capsacity levels at our four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
3. Legislative Report - City School Board Member Bob Reinsel presented the 2022 State and Federal Legislatice Program. (Objective 7, School Board Organization).
Monday, November 1, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting and Work Session
1. Superintendent Advisory Team Update - Student representative on the Superintendent Advisory Team Darwin Otchere provided the Board with an update from the most recent team meeting. Mr. Otchere discussed the discussion of the Capital Improvement Plan.
2. Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Returning Strong Update: Ms. Rebecca Baenig and Ms. Terry Edmunds-Heard from FCPS Region 5 provided an update to the Board on the return to school. They discussed information such as staffing, bussing, the FHS principal update and vaccines for elementary students, staff and student athletes.
3. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent provided the board with the updated FY 23-27 CIP. The school board voted unianimously to approve the CIP.
4. Action Items: The City of Fairfax School Board approved the CIP and updates to the School Board Policy Manual.
Work Session: The City of Fairfax School Board went into work session to discuss two subjects:
a. School Board Orienation document: School Board Member Toby Sorensen created a school board orientation document for incoming school board members.
b. Discussion of Possible Strategic Plan Topic: College and Career Plans: Dr. Mitch Sutterfield led the school board in a discussion for a possible strategic plan topic about college and career plans for students after graduation.
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - Fall Retreat
1. Board Annual Self Evaluation - Led by Chairman Carolyn Pitches, the School Board discussed the recent School Board self evaluation results.
2. Facilites - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the future of the City of Fairfax School facilities and renovations FY25-FY35.
3. Pre-Kindergarten - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the possibilities of a pre-kindergarten program in the City of Fairfax.
4. Equity Discussion - Led by School Board Member Bob Reinsel, the Board discussed adding a new initative plan to develop a policy regarding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the City of Fairfax Schools.
Monday, October 18, 2021 - Work Session
1. AVID Update - FCPS AVID Coordinators, teachers, students provided a comprehenisive explanation of the AVID program at KJMS and FHS. Objective 4., Instruction.
2. Transporation Update- City of Fairfax Transportation Director Wendy Sanford provided an update on the Old Lee Highway project in Fairfax City, which will impact Daniels Run ES and Fairfax HS.
3. Board Retreat Agenda- The City of Fairfax School Board approved the final draft of the agenda for their upcoming retreat on Saturday, October 23. (Objective 7, Board Organization)
Monday, October 4, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting
1. Academy Update - Administrator Andrea Cook updated the school board on the Fairfax Academy. American Sign Language teacher Cassie Nesbitt joined. (Objective 4., Instruction)
2. Capital Improvement Plan - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the five year FY 2023 - 2027 CIP. (Objective 3., Facilities)
Monday, September 20, 2021 - Work Session
1. FCPS Return to School Update: Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 leadership Rebecca Baenig, Eric McCann and Terri Edmunds-Heard presented to the school board updates for the first month of school. Topics included enrollment, staffing, facilities and ESSER funds spending for the four schools. (Objective 1, 2, 3, - SSA, Budget, Facilities).
2. Communications Update: City of Fairfax communications manager Carrie Dorsey presented the 2021-2022 SY communications plan. (Objective 6., Communications)
3. Capital Improvement Plan: Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo and Assistant to the Superintendent Diego Wilson presented the inital draft of the FY 2023-2027 Capital Improvement Plan. (Objective 3, Facilities)
4. Meeting Agendas: Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the school board with topics for the fall retreat on October 23 and agenda items for the year's regular school board and work session meetings.
Monday, September 13, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting - Please note, this meeting was not televised.
1. FCPS Tuition and ESSER Funding Update - Fairfax County Public Schools presented to the school board an update for the upcoming tutition payment and plans for the ESSER funding. (Objective 1., SSA)
2. Facilities Update - Diego Wilson, Assistant to the Superintendent answered questions from the board about facility upgrades and projects. (Objective 3., Facilities)
3. Return to School Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo presented an update to the board about the first few weeks of school. (Objective 4., Instruction)
4. Capital and Administrative Report - Dr. Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo answered questions about the Capital and Administrative Accounts.
Thursday, July 8, 2021 - Special School Board Meeting
1. The City of Fairfax School Board held its annual organizational meeting. (Objective 7, School Board Organizational)
The Board established the following assignments:
– Annual School Board Organization
- Elect Carolyn Pitches Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Elect Dr. Mitch Sutterfield Vice Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Establish Meeting Dates
- Set the Salary of School Board Members
- Appoint Susan Wiczalkowski, Clerk of the School Board
- Retain John Cafferky, to provide general legal services
- Establish Rotation for Fairfax County School Board Meetings
- Appoint Jon Buttram and Alternate, Carolyn Pitches, School Board Members to PRAB
- Appoint Delegate, Mitch Sutterfield and Alternate, Toby Sorensen to VSBA Convention
- Appoint Bob Reinsel and Toby Sorensen as Legislative Liaisons
- Appoint Carolyn Pitches and Toby Sorensen, Representatives to the Washington Area Boards of Education
- Appoint Brenda Silvia Torma as City of Fairfax Schools Health Advisory Committee Member
- Appoint Kate Hermann as City of Fairfax Schools FPAC member
- Appoint Darcy Acquavella as City of Fairfax Schools ACSD member
- Appoint Amy Chase as City of Fairfax Schools AAPAC member
- Appoint Mitch Sutterfield, as representative to the Environmental Sustainability Committee
- Authorize Chairman & Clerk to sign legal documents
- Authorize Superintendent to sign and execute official documents