The City of Fairfax School Board holds Regular School Board meetings on the first Monday of the month at City Hall, 10455 Armstrong Street. The meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. and are televised on local channel 12. To see a schedule, agendas and minutes, please go to our meetings page. In addition, the School Board holds monthly work sessions on the third Monday, usually at Fairfax High School. The work sessions are not televised but are recorded.
Board Briefs is designed to highlight important aspects to our school board meetings and connect the School Board work with their annual goals and strategic plan.
To see a video of our Regular School Board meetings or listen to a recording of a work session, please go to the City of Fairfax website.
To see a presentation listed below, please go to the City of Fairfax website, click on the meeting date and agenda. Presentations will be embedded in the agendas.
2022 - 2023 Board Briefs
Monday, May 1, 2023 Regular School Board Meeting
1. City of Fairfax Planned Development and Impact on Student Population, Eric Forman, City of Fairfax Planning and Development Office - Mr. Forman presented to the board about future and current developments throughout the city and county and potential impact they have on student populations.
2. State Legislative Process - Senator Chap Petersen spoke to the board about the Virginia legislative process and impact on funding for education.
Monday, April 17, 2023 Work Session
1. Student Panel - The City of Fairfax School Board held its annual student panel. Eight students ranging in grades from 7th - 12th grades talked to student representative Grace Bowersox about their experiences at Katherine Johnson MS and Fairfax HS.
2. Review Retreat Agenda - The board reviewed possible agenda items for its annual June retreat.
Monday, March 20, 2023 Work Session
1. Student Panel Questions - Each year in April, the City of Fairfax School Board hosts students from Katherine Johnson MS and Fairfax HS for their annual student panel. The board and student representative asks the student panel questions about their transitions to new schools, the school facilities, after school activities, and other important issues facing students. At the March work session, the school board reviewed the questions to prepare for the April panel.
2. School Captial Projects Update Superintendent Jeff Platenberg presented the school board with an update on school facility projects. To see a list of current and future projects, please go to our website.
Monday, March 6, 2023 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Elementary School State of the School Report - Principal Dan Phillips from Providence ES and principal Chris Smith from Daniels Run ES presented the State of the School Report. To see the full presentation, please go to the City of Fairfax meeting website or see the presentation here.
Monday, February 27, 2023 Work Session
1. Secondary Grading and Reporting: Ms. Noel Klimenko, Assistant Superintendent, Instructional Services and Mr. Michael Gillespie, Coordinator, PreK-12 Curriculum Integration Management. Ms. Klimenko and Mr. Gillespie discussed rolling grade book and other assessment tools for secondary students. To see the full presentation, please go to the City of Fairfax website.
Monday, February 7, 2023 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Principals Dr. Georgina Aye and Dr. Tammara Silipigni presented the annual state of the schools report for Fairfax HS and Katherine Johnson MS. To see the full presentation, please go to the City of Fairfax meetings website here.
Monday, January 23, 2023 Work Session
1. Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 administrative team presented to the City of Fairfax School board a student performance update.
Saturday, January 21, 2023 School Board Retreat
1. The City of Fairfax School Board held its annual winter retreat. Topics covered were:
- Capital Improvement Plan and facilities update
- City school budget
- Calendar topics for upcoming year
Monday, January 9, 2023 Regular School Board Meeting
1. The new school board was sworn in for their 2023 - 2025 term.
2. The board honored the Virginia state champion FHS field hockey team.
3. Spotlight on Learning - FHS teachers Ms. Coyle (French) and Ms. Tiffany (Latin), spoke about foreign languages and dual enrollment at FHS,
4. Student Report/Student Project Update - student representatives Grace Bowersox and Nico Ramallo presented the student report and updated the board on their student project.
5. Superintendent FY 2024 Budget - the board unanimously approved the superintendent's FY 2024 budget.
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
Joint Meeting with Fairfax County Public Schools
The City of Fairfax and Fairfax County Public Schools held their annual meeting. Topics on the agenda includes:
- FCPS Strategic Plan Process
- City of Fairfax Feasibility Study
Monday, December 5, 2022
1. Student Recognition - The School Board celebrated students from Katherine Johnson Middle School and Fairfax High School for achievements in academics and athletics.
2. FCPS Legislative Program - Mike Malloy, FCPS government relations, updated the board on the 2023 legislative year in Virginia and potential impacts to the City of Fairfax.
3. Superintendent FY 2024 Proposed Budget - Jeff Platenberg updated the Board on the FY 2024 proposed budget.
Monday, November 7, 2022
1. Spotlight on Learning - Fairfax Academy - Academy administrator Andrea Cook provided the City of Fairfax School Board with an update on the Academy, including new courses, updated student enrollment, and discussion of the Academy emphasis on career and college preparation.
2. Proposed Five Year Capital Improvement Plan - Superintendent Jeff Platenberg presented the school board with the FY 24 - 28 Captial Improvement Plan.
Monday, November 21, 2022
1. September 2022 Membership Report - FCPS student information analyst Janine Lacina and Shakita Robinson, analyst presented the City of Fairfax School Board with the 2022 membership report.
2. Legislative Update - City of Fairfax School Board member Bob Reinsel updated the board with the Legislative Update.
3. Preview of the FY 2024 Budget - Superintendent Jeff Platenberg presented his proposed FY 2024 budget.
Monday, October 17, 2022 Work Session
1. Facilities Update at Fairfax High School, Ms. Giselle Gray, Facilities Coordinator at Fairfax HS Ms. Gray provided the board with an update of facility usage at Fairfax High School and outlined programs using the FHS campus. (objective 3, school facilities)
2. Changes to Elementary School Literacy Efforts - Ms. Noel Klimenko, FCPS. Ms. Klimenko and team provided an update to the board about the changes FCPS is undergoing in elementary literacy teaching. (objective 4, instruction)
Monday, October 3, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Spotlight on Learning - Tania Denham - AVID instructor. Ms. Denham provided the board an update on the expansion of AVID opportunities to our elementary schools. (objective 4, student achivement).
2. Student Project Presentation: Grace Bowersox, student representatives. Miss Bowersox discussed her project with the board. Miss Bowersox is working with the leadership team to increase Pyramid elementary feeder events at the school.
Monday, September 17, 2022 Work Session
1. School Security Update - Walter English, City of Fairfax Emergency Management (objective 3/4, facilities, student achievement - Mr. English provided an update on the current study looking into school safety issues. The study is currently underway and will be presented to the school board and city council when finished.
2. Capital Improvement Plan Draft - Jeff Platenberg, Superintendent. (objective 3, facilities) - Mr. Platenberg presented a draft of the 2024-2028 Capital Improvement Plan. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
3. School Board Calendar - Jeff Platenberg, Superintendent (objective 7, School Board organization). Mr. Platenberg and the board discussed possible agenda items for the upcoming year.
Monday, September 12, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. FCPS Tuition Update: (objective 1, SSA management) FCPS Assistant Superintendent Leigh Burden presented the school board with a tuition estimate. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
2. Summer in the City: (objective 3/4, school facilities, student achievement). Assistant to the Superintendent Diego Wilson presented the school board with an update of the summer facility projects and summer student transition programs. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
3. School Opening Report: (objective 3/4, instruction, enrollment) Superintendent Jeff Platenberg updated the school board with a report about the opening of schools. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
July 11, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Swearing in of Superintendent Jeff Platenberg - Jeff Platenberg was sworn in as the new superintendent for the City of Fairfax Schools.
2. School Board Organizational Meeting (objective 7, School Board Organization)- The City of Fairfax School Board held their annual school board organzation. In this meeting the school board:
- Established Meeting Dates (see Meetings for calendar)
- Set the salary for board members at $4600 per annum and $5600 per annum for chair.
- Appointed Susan Wiczalkowski as Clerk of the City of Fairfax School Board
- Retained John Cafferky to provide general legal services
- Elected Carolyn Pitches as Chair and Dr. Mitch Sutterfield as Vice Chair
- Jon Buttram to serve on Parks and Recreation Board
- Mitch Sutterfield as the City School Board delegate to VSBA convention
- Bob Reinsel as Board Legislative Liaison
- Carolyn Pitches and Toby Soresen as represenatives to Washington Area Boards of Education
- Mitch Sutterfield to Environmental Sustainability Committee
- Brenda Silvia Torma as City of Fairfax representative to FCPS Health Advisory Committee
- Kate Hermann as City of Fairfax representative to FCPS Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities
- Amy Chase as the City of Fairfax representative to FCPS Advanced Academic Programs Advisory Committee
2021-2022 Board Briefs
June 9, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Dedication to Dr. Phyllis Pajardo - The City of Fairfax School Board dedicated the library at Katherine Johnson Middle School to Dr. Pajardo - renaming it the "Dr. Phyllis C. Pajardo Library".
2. Summer in the City - The School Board was asked to preview the presentation made by Diego Wilson, Assistant Superintendent for summer activities in the City Schools.
Monday, May 16, Special Meeting
1. Approval of Employment Contract for Superintendent - The City of Fairfax School Board voted unanimously to approve the contract for supertinendent to Jeff Platenberg. Click to see the superintendent timeline.
Monday, May 16, Work Session
1. FCPS Committee Presentations - City of Fairfax FCPS committee liaisons presented their end of the year report to the school board. Click here to see more about the FCPS committees with City of Fairfax representatives.
2. Future Development Data Update - Eric Forman, Community Development and Planning for the City of Fairfax. Mr. Forman provided the school board with an update on housing developments throughout the City and County with impacts on school population.
3. Summer Retreat - The City of Fairfax School Board discussed agenda items for the July 9, 2022 retreat.
Monday, May 2, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
1. Student Recognition - The City of Fairfax School Board recognized Fairfax High School students for regional, state and national accomplishments. To see the recognition, please go to the City of Fairfax meetings website and click on the May 2, 2022 meeting.
Monday, April 18, Work Session
1. Annual Student Panel - Students and administrators from Katherine Johnson Middle School and Fairfax High School joined the school board for a panel discussion about life as a student in city schools.
2. FCPS Instructional Update - Noel Klimenko, FCPS Instructional Services presented an update on K-12 Mathematics. Click here to see the presentation.
Monday, April 11, Regular School Board
1. Donation to All Night Grad Night - The City of Fairfax School Board donated $2000 to the Fairfax HS All Night Grad Night committee.
2. Superintendent Advisory Team Update - Student representative Darwin Otchere gave the board an update on the Superintendent Advisory Team meeting in March.
3. Superintendent Search Update - Ann Monday, consultant, provided the School Board with an update on the superintendent search. Please click here for link to presentation.
4. Strategic Plan Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, superintendent, provided the School Board with an update on the strategic plan. Please click here for link to presentation.
Monday, March 21, Work Session
1. Student Panel Preview - Student representative Akanksha Padheriya and SAT representative Darwin Otchere presented the board with a preview of April's student panel. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
2. Elementary Technology Preview - Ms. Tracey Jewel, Director, IT Support Services, Fairfax County Public Schools. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
Monday, March 7, Regular School Board Meeting
1. Student Representative Report - Akanksha Padheryia gave the student report.
2. Katherine Johnson MS and Fairfax HS state of the schools report - Interim FHS principal Maureen Keck and Director of Student Services Kathryn Teague presented the annual state of the schools report. To see the presentation, please see the agenda.
Monday, February 28, Work Session
1. School Safety and Security Update: Captain Shawn Bennett, Fairfax City Police Department, Mr. Tom Vaccarello, Director, Fairfax County Public Schools Safety and Security. Captain Bennett and Mr. Vaccarello discussed the memo of understanding for school resource officers in Fairfax High School and Katherine Johnson Middle School. To see the presentation, please go to the agenda.
2. Katherine Johnson MS Field Project: Ms. Cathy Salgado, Director, Parks and Recreation. Ms. Salgado updated the school board on the KJMS turf field project. To see the presentation, please go to the agenda.
4. School Board Strategic Planning Process: Carolyn Pitches, Chair. Ms. Pitches led the school board on a discussion about school board priorities and strategic planning.
Monday, February 7, 2022
State of the Schools Report - Providence ES and Daniels Run ES principals presented their annual State of the Schools Report. Updates were provided on ESSER spending, additional support measures to help with student learning and wellness programs.
Monday, January 24, 2022 Work Session
Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 Update - FCPS Region 5 Assistant Superintendent Rebecca Baenig, Executive Principal Terri Edmunds-Heard and Executive Principal Eric McCann presented an update to the City of Fairfax School board that included updated COVID numbers and protocols, subsitution shortages and a timeline for the new principal announcement.
Monday, January 3, 2022 Regular School Board Meeting
Facilities Update - Assistant Superintendent Diego Wilson provided the board with an update to City school facility projects.
Monday, December 6, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting
1. FCPS Legislative Update - Fairfax County Public Schools Director of the Office of Government Relations Mike Malloy presented a preview of the FCPS Legislative Update.
2. Superintendent Proposed FY 23 Budget - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent of the City of Fairfax Schools, presented the school board with the fiscal year 2023 budget. To see the budget presentation, please see here. To see Dr. Pajardo's presentation, please go to the City's meetings website and click on the December 6, 2021 meeting.
Monday, November 15, 2021 Work Session
1. Membership Update - Michelle Van Dyke and Stephanie Hanos from the FCPS Information Technology department presented an updated membership report to the City School Board. The report outlined the number of city students, city transfers and mobility rates of the four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
2. School Capacities Update - Jeff Platenberg and Brian Schoester from the FCPS Office of Facilities Planning Services department presented their annual school capacity and utilization presentation to discuss the current capsacity levels at our four city schools. (Objective 1, SSA)
3. Legislative Report - City School Board Member Bob Reinsel presented the 2022 State and Federal Legislatice Program. (Objective 7, School Board Organization).
Monday, November 1, 2021 Regular School Board Meeting and Work Session
1. Superintendent Advisory Team Update - Student representative on the Superintendent Advisory Team Darwin Otchere provided the Board with an update from the most recent team meeting. Mr. Otchere discussed the discussion of the Capital Improvement Plan.
2. Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Returning Strong Update: Ms. Rebecca Baenig and Ms. Terry Edmunds-Heard from FCPS Region 5 provided an update to the Board on the return to school. They discussed information such as staffing, bussing, the FHS principal update and vaccines for elementary students, staff and student athletes.
3. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent provided the board with the updated FY 23-27 CIP. The school board voted unianimously to approve the CIP.
4. Action Items: The City of Fairfax School Board approved the CIP and updates to the School Board Policy Manual.
Work Session: The City of Fairfax School Board went into work session to discuss two subjects:
a. School Board Orienation document: School Board Member Toby Sorensen created a school board orientation document for incoming school board members.
b. Discussion of Possible Strategic Plan Topic: College and Career Plans: Dr. Mitch Sutterfield led the school board in a discussion for a possible strategic plan topic about college and career plans for students after graduation.
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - Fall Retreat
1. Board Annual Self Evaluation - Led by Chairman Carolyn Pitches, the School Board discussed the recent School Board self evaluation results.
2. Facilites - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the future of the City of Fairfax School facilities and renovations FY25-FY35.
3. Pre-Kindergarten - Led by School Board Member Jon Buttram, the Board discussed the possibilities of a pre-kindergarten program in the City of Fairfax.
4. Equity Discussion - Led by School Board Member Bob Reinsel, the Board discussed adding a new initative plan to develop a policy regarding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the City of Fairfax Schools.
Monday, October 18, 2021 - Work Session
1. AVID Update - FCPS AVID Coordinators, teachers, students provided a comprehenisive explanation of the AVID program at KJMS and FHS. Objective 4., Instruction.
2. Transporation Update- City of Fairfax Transportation Director Wendy Sanford provided an update on the Old Lee Highway project in Fairfax City, which will impact Daniels Run ES and Fairfax HS.
3. Board Retreat Agenda- The City of Fairfax School Board approved the final draft of the agenda for their upcoming retreat on Saturday, October 23. (Objective 7, Board Organization)
Monday, October 4, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting
1. Academy Update - Administrator Andrea Cook updated the school board on the Fairfax Academy. American Sign Language teacher Cassie Nesbitt joined. (Objective 4., Instruction)
2. Capital Improvement Plan - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the five year FY 2023 - 2027 CIP. (Objective 3., Facilities)
Monday, September 20, 2021 - Work Session
1. FCPS Return to School Update: Fairfax County Public Schools Region 5 leadership Rebecca Baenig, Eric McCann and Terri Edmunds-Heard presented to the school board updates for the first month of school. Topics included enrollment, staffing, facilities and ESSER funds spending for the four schools. (Objective 1, 2, 3, - SSA, Budget, Facilities).
2. Communications Update: City of Fairfax communications manager Carrie Dorsey presented the 2021-2022 SY communications plan. (Objective 6., Communications)
3. Capital Improvement Plan: Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Pajardo and Assistant to the Superintendent Diego Wilson presented the inital draft of the FY 2023-2027 Capital Improvement Plan. (Objective 3, Facilities)
4. Meeting Agendas: Dr. Phyllis Pajardo presented the school board with topics for the fall retreat on October 23 and agenda items for the year's regular school board and work session meetings.
Monday, September 13, 2021 - Regular School Board Meeting - Please note, this meeting was not televised.
1. FCPS Tuition and ESSER Funding Update - Fairfax County Public Schools presented to the school board an update for the upcoming tutition payment and plans for the ESSER funding. (Objective 1., SSA)
2. Facilities Update - Diego Wilson, Assistant to the Superintendent answered questions from the board about facility upgrades and projects. (Objective 3., Facilities)
3. Return to School Update - Dr. Phyllis Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo presented an update to the board about the first few weeks of school. (Objective 4., Instruction)
4. Capital and Administrative Report - Dr. Pajardo, Superintendent - Dr. Pajardo answered questions about the Capital and Administrative Accounts.
Thursday, July 8, 2021 - Special School Board Meeting
1. The City of Fairfax School Board held its annual organizational meeting. (Objective 7, School Board Organizational)
The Board established the following assignments:
– Annual School Board Organization
- Elect Carolyn Pitches Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Elect Dr. Mitch Sutterfield Vice Chairman for FY 2021/2022
- Establish Meeting Dates
- Set the Salary of School Board Members
- Appoint Susan Wiczalkowski, Clerk of the School Board
- Retain John Cafferky, to provide general legal services
- Establish Rotation for Fairfax County School Board Meetings
- Appoint Jon Buttram and Alternate, Carolyn Pitches, School Board Members to PRAB
- Appoint Delegate, Mitch Sutterfield and Alternate, Toby Sorensen to VSBA Convention
- Appoint Bob Reinsel and Toby Sorensen as Legislative Liaisons
- Appoint Carolyn Pitches and Toby Sorensen, Representatives to the Washington Area Boards of Education
- Appoint Brenda Silvia Torma as City of Fairfax Schools Health Advisory Committee Member
- Appoint Kate Hermann as City of Fairfax Schools FPAC member
- Appoint Darcy Acquavella as City of Fairfax Schools ACSD member
- Appoint Amy Chase as City of Fairfax Schools AAPAC member
- Appoint Mitch Sutterfield, as representative to the Environmental Sustainability Committee
- Authorize Chairman & Clerk to sign legal documents
- Authorize Superintendent to sign and execute official documents